The chronicles and ramblings of a stay-at-home father raising his three beautiful girls, Anya Rose, Caitlin Rose and Reegan Rose.

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Summer time...

It's been a while since I've written a blog and the girls are building a fort nicely in the other room, so here goes...

We've been busy ever since we left for MN.  We had a great three weeks on the road, but we're happy to return to the Northwest.  Spending time with family is always a treat, but so is sleeping in your own bed at night.  

Three days after we came back from MN, my dad flew out to stay with us for the week.  Alicia had a weekend conference at Lake Chelan and we thought it would be a good idea to bring Papa along to help watch the kids so I could spend some time with Alicia.  For the three days we were to spend at Lake Chelan, our van had more shit in it than we had on our three week trip to Minnesota.  While Alicia had to do quite a bit of schmoozing at the conference, the girls and I were able to spend our days in the pool and on the beach.  On Monday afternoon, we decided to rent a boat and take the girls tubing.  We spent four hours floating around the lake, tubing, fishing, and generally enjoying life.  On Tuesday Alicia and I were able to go golfing in the afternoon as part of the conference.  My golf game is similar to Reegan's ability to use the toilet; unpredictable and frustrating.  Luckily we were playing in a scramble, so I felt good about myself as long as every 4th shot went in the general direction I was intending.

When we arrived home from Lake Chelan, Ben and Dianne were waiting for us to pick them up from the airport.  They managed to take a bus out to Bellevue to make our drive a bit shorter.  They spent the week with us enjoying everything the Pacific Northwest has to offer.  After a couple days in Issaquah, we decided to head out to Hood Canal for a weekend getaway.  A few weeks ago, Alicia and I won a weekend stay at a small cabin near the Hood Canal, and what better time to check it out than with family.  While the cabin was small, we spent most of our time on the water.  The Hood Canal is a saltwater fjord (not that I have any idea what that means) and is great for all kinds of shellfish.  At the first beach we went to, we spotted a small jellyfish swimming in the shallows.  While I was nervous to get close to the jellyfish at first, a four-year-old Armenian assured me that they can't do you any harm until they turn red, and with that solid base of information, I scooped it up in a bucket.  When I brought it on shore, I asked the girls not to touch it, but like everything else I tell them, it was ignored.  The girls pet the top of the jelly-body tentatively until our Armenian friend reached in, grabbed the creature, and hurled him back into the sea.  

The next morning I thought it would be fun to see what it was like catching oysters so we went to another shellfish beach.  We got to walk a couple hundred yards through thick, messy sediment before getting to the seashore where a group of Asians were catching and harvesting oysters.  Caitlin and Reegan loved when the mud oozed over their shoes and ran between their toes... In hindsight, had I simply explained to Caitlin that mud baths act as great exfoliates and old women spend good money for their age defying results, she would have probably had a blast.  While the girls could have cared less about the oysters, they did notice that the shoreline was teeming with tiny crabs with pincers too small to pinch them.  They grabbed my coffee cup and filled it with sand and pint sized crabs.  They were so excited to collect the little guys for Mommy and I was excited to see Mommy's reaction to such a disturbing surprise.

On Tuesday afternoon we took Ben and Dianne back to the airport.  It was a blast having them here.  We love sharing our Northwest experiences with all our friends and family. 

Yesterday the house was quiet and our plans were nil.  For the first time in a couple weeks it was time to clean the house, do the laundry, and prepare for the start to the school year.  As some of you may know, I will be heading back to school this fall to pursue my license in education, grades 5-12 Social Studies.  My term starts August 1st and I should be able to finish in a year and a half.  New adventures abound where ever we go and I am excited to see what the future may hold for us...

Tip of the Day - A long car-ride with a coffee cup full of crabs provides hours of cheap entertainment and good conversation.  

"It's MY turn with the crabs!  I want crabs!!!"
"Ben, did you give Dianne crabs?"
"Mommy's going to crap a solid-gold-brick when she sees that daddy is coming home with crabs!" (okay maybe the girls didn't say that one... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment